Whatever your line of work, if you work a lot with the US market, the chances are you’re going to need a US local phone number.
Thankfully, this no longer needs to be an expensive solution, as it was in the days of landlines! Nowadays, VoIP providers – Voice Over Internet Protocols – easily manage to deliver low cost, fast and high-quality local US calls.
They’re known as DID numbers – Direct Inward Dialing – which you can connect to your existing phone (and even add other international numbers) anywhere you are located worldwide, providing there’s a good enough internet connection.
People calling your DD phone number – for example, a local US phone number – pay the same rate as they would to make a local phone call – just one of its many, many benefits.
STEP 1: FINDING THE BEST LOCAL US PHONE NUMBER FOR YOURSELF
There’s a reason why people and many businesses are switching to VoIP solutions for US-based local phone numbers from the traditional option of Landline. Here are some of the many advantages of getting a VoIP-based local US phone number:
- Your business gains a ‘local’ presence even when you are operating from outside the US. This builds credibility and trust for your brand/product and allows an increase in sales.
- The quality of your calls is first-rate and the consistency is maintained throughout. All you need is a high-speed internet connection and you are good to go. Enjoy interruption-free, high quality calls within your business and with customers.
- Cost minimization – VoIP-based local US numbers cost lesser than their landline alternatives on all accounts; the cost to maintain the number as well as per minute calling rates are both lower than international landline call rates.
Now that you’ve taken a look at all the advantages VoIP-based local numbers have over their landline equivalent, it’s time to find the best VoIP service provider for you! You can start with checking out our list of recommended VoIP Providers that our experts have especially handpicked for you!
You can also visit our Reviews Archive for all in-depth analyses and comparisons between the most recommended VoIP service providers and see how they differ and match in their price plans, features, etc to make your decision.
STEP 2: SET UP YOUR LOCAL US NUMBER
Hooked up with the VoIP service provider of your choice? Let’s get your local US Number now:
- Based on your choice of VoIP provider, you will either be provided with a local US number, or will have to pick one yourself.
- In the event you are asked to pick one, such as with Grasshopper VoIP, you will first have to decide on an area code. Once you have an area code in mind, remember all US numbers start with 3 digits. The first part of your local US number is ready.
- Now just follow the instructions to set up your local US number.
- Go through your plan details, if your VoIP provider hasn’t asked for your preference for your local number. It’s possible that a local US number is not offered in the plan you have signed up for. If such is the case, you can always buy it and add it to your existing plan. Or you can call their customer care to help you with your queries.
STEP 3: SET UP THE REST OF YOUR NETWORK
Choosing a local US number was just the beginning. To get it up and running, you will need to follow certain steps. Once you have your local US number picked out, you’ll be required to customize it to your preferences. These may include (but not limited to):
- Personalized Hold music.
- Customized greeting for callers.
- Various extensions and notifications settings.
Make sure to ask your VoIP provider which features of your plan are customizable and how to go about it.
STEP 4: CONNECT YOUR USERS, DEPARTMENTS AND MORE
Now that you have your customized local US number ready, you are free to create extensions for your business. You can build as many extensions as you like depending on the size of your business and number of employees.
This will help your customers contact the right person for their troubles and improve your internal communication. Your system will become more organized and efficient. For instance, your customized greeting for callers could guide them directly to the person they are looking to speak to with simple instructions like, ‘dial 1 for our customer support agent, and 21 for Mark from PR’.
STEP 5: ENABLE (AND CUSTOMIZE) YOUR NOTIFICATION SETTINGS
One thing that sets VoIP networks apart from the regular telephone networks is that almost everything about them is digitalized.
Of all the digitalized features that VoIP providers have to offer the self-regulating, automated voicemail transcription is the apparent winner.
Check with your service provider if this feature is provided in your plan. If it’s not you can simply choose to purchase it separately and add it to your plan. But this unique feature saves you from having to listen to frustrating voicemail by emailing you a transcript of your voicemail. You can also then forward this transcript to whoever you need to or store it for record keeping.
This is also true for the VoIP fax services; any time you receive a fax, however infrequent it may be, you can customize your settings to have a PDF copy of the fax sent to you via email.
All of these unique features only increase your productivity levels and help you run your business with minimum disruptions, improving your efficiency.
FINAL WORD: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW - GET A LOCAL US NUMBER FOR THE US
Obtaining a local US number is a great investment when trying to enter the local market and making a name with your US clients. Doing it via VoIP solutions is much more flexible, inexpensive and cost-efficient than a with regular phone lines. It helps in building trust with your clientele and expanding your business worldwide.
Visit our guide on how to choose the right VoIP service provider to lock down the VoIP solution that suits you and get your local US number today!
No matter where you are operating from, if most of your clientele is based in the US, it helps to have a Local Number. It establishes your presence in the local market and makes you appear more accessible to customers.
Previously, obtaining a local US number for business was an expensive and prolonged process. But thanks to VoIP Service providers, you can get a local number in the US with minimum effort and maximum results!
VoIP providers offer DID (Direct Inward Dialing) numbers that can be connected to your current phone line (or add other international numbers) irrespective of where you are located on the globe, as long as you have a high-speed internet connection.
The best part about having a DID phone number—among other benefits—is that calling a DID number costs the same as calling any local number, such as a local US number.